Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Split Second (FBI Thriller #15)Split Second by Catherine Coulter


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Ever read a book from a favored author and found that it wasn’t the best you’d ever read? Did you feel let down? Or just glad that the series was moved along with another book? Well, I’ve had such an experience with Split Second, the latest installment of Catherine Coulter’s FBI series. Rationale and the Law of Averages suggest that I can’t have an awesome book every time, but I still have hope with each new printing. The idea of the book was great and I was caught immediately in the chase of the daughter of a prolific and infamous killer and also the mystery in the life of another FBI agent. Of course, Savich and Sherlock are back but their roles are more supporting than in previous books. I don’t know if I like that as I have gotten used to them being in the forefront at all times.


Somehow, I missed the action in this book. The timeline of the book says everything happened in under two weeks, the action and intensity just weren’t there, even when chasing a serial killer. Also, I missed the sinister mood that Coulter usually evokes with her books. I mean, I’m reading about the daughter of one of the world’s most known killers and I don’t feel like she is coming for me. Also, what was the story with the aunt? That went nowhere; just left me wondering if I needed to read a few chapters over again. I just didn’t feel the urgency with this book. And the side story of agent Lucy Carlyle……just felt under developed and, in the end, unfinished. The thing paranormal connection just wasn’t there, not in the way that it had been with Hemlock Bay with the Satanist twins.


I know this sounds a bit ironic but I did like this book…only not as much as I thought I should. Does that make sense? I have been reading the FBI series since The Cove and The Maze and will continue to read as long as Ms. Coulter chooses to write them.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment