Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1)The Heir by Grace Burrowes


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Inching towards 5 stars for this book. This was a thoroughly enjoyable book and one of the most complete historical novels I've read in a long time. This book had been on a perpetual TBR list and I was finally able to have The Heir and The Soldier (haven’t read yet) together so that I would be able to read in sequence. For fans of regency romance this is wonderful example of witty language and just enough sexiness to keep you turning pages.


Gayle Windham, Earl of Westhaven is being plagued by his father to begat an heir; so much so that the Duke of Moreland has planted spies inside his son’s residence, bribes his mistress, and blackmails women into betrothals. His Grace reminds me of Prince Charming father from Cinderella. In fact, there are more than a few parallels to be drawn from that fairy tale. Anna Seaton is playing at being the best housekeeper in Mayfair and when the Earl appears to take up residence, the two of them become most intimate. She has been changing houses and looking over her shoulder, hiding from a mysterious enemy. Their relationship seamlessly turns into affection and neither one of them is trying to deny their mutual attraction.


This book took several days to read and I almost gave up because it seemed as if I was always reading the same thing (due to the length of the book, of course). Also, I think the author assumed that we were a part of her creative process because I had to keep re-reading the beginning to understand where the story was going. I loved Devlin (The Soldier) Valentine., and Morgan. A wonderful read and I can’t wait to begin on The Soldier: Devlin St.Just is an interesting character and can’t wait to see what happens with him.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment