Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bring Me Home for Christmas (Virgin River, #16)Bring Me Home for Christmas by Robyn Carr


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Let me begin by saying that I love the Virgin River series and when Denny Cutler first arrived there, I was dying to hear the rest of his story. However, after reading Bring Me Home for Christmas, I think I could have waited. I did not feel as if this story fit in with the rest of the series: the characters that avid followers have come to love have become peripheral, no real build of emotion and tension. Almost as if the relationship between Denny and Becca was a forgone conclusion and nothing else needed to be added. One of the things that I have come to love about this series is the secondary stories and lead-ins to future books; I got none of that here. This could have been a standalone novel.


The book is basically about the girl that got away. Denny left Becca to return to Iraq and she moved on without him. After a few years, she has begun to date a law student and it’s leading to marriage but before a proposal can be made, Becca decides to piggyback with her brother on a guys-only hunting trip. Really? Denny doesn’t know she’s coming and all the old feelings come right back. Throw in a broken ankle, a rival, and close quarters and the couple is once again, a couple. Denny decides to quit working at the farm and follow Becca back to San Diego. Did I mention that he quit his job? This doesn’t seem like the same Denny that we’ve been reading about.


I just couldn’t make the connection with this book. After having read all of the previous novels in this series, I guess it was time for the law of averages to kick in. I think I would have liked this book if it had been a single title; definitely not Virgin River material.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment