Friday, September 23, 2011

Kindle for Libraries

    
    On Wednesday, September 21st, Amazon changed the world of reading again. Not only is the Kindle the most popular reading device in the world but now avid readers can add library books to their Kindle.  Oh! How ridiculously awesome.
Ok, yes.  I am  a nerd and complete bibliophile (sounds naughty, doesn't it?)

     When I bought my Kindle, I immediately experienced some envious feelings for those people who had Nooks, Sony e-readers, etc because with all those devices you could borrow and download library books and Kindle didn't have that.  I  have been on the verge of buying a Nook or Kobo for the sole purpose of being able to use this service; and although I have been using the OverDrive app on my Android phone for several months, it's not a very good alternative when reading lengthy novels.  But alas, the good people at Amazon have made my geeky dreams come true.
    As a voracious reader, I love the feel and smell of turned pages. But I'm also a person who reads several books at a time and it's not very comfortable to lug around three or four books at a time.  I can save my budget by using the local library and have the opportunity to read books that have been in my TBR pile for ages.  Like Crown of Thrones, Things Fall Apart, etc. 
    I know that a lot of people have been reluctant to embrace e-readers and their ilk (myself included) but they are the new revolution in literacy. In this gadget friendly world of ours, e-readers have captured the attentionof former non-readers and has changed them into people who speak "book". The stigma of being a bookworm is no longer---it is now cool to read. WHAT! My 13 year old daughter was one of these such people: she would read as assigned by a teacher. Since getting her a Kindle of her own, a whole new world has been opened up. She is almost never without her Kindle near by. Amazing.
    So, now that I have celebrated a new Kindle breakthrough, I'm off to enjoy one of many Kimani romance novels in my reading queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment