Sunday, September 4, 2011

E-book vs. Print Pricing

     There's a lot of  talk that paperback books are becoming obsolete. While the tide may be shifting because of new e-book technology, not everyone is caught up in the phenomenon. Some can't afford one and others are doing just fine turning pages.  Though I do have an e-reader, I am still a fan of books in print. Especially when some prices for e-books rival those for hardbacks. I thought the whole point would be to have lower prices but sometimes we find this not to be true.  I have seen e-books priced up to$14.99 when the same book can be purchased in print for $9.99. Crazy!!! If I have to pay full price for a book, I'd rather but the same book in print.
     So, today I was shopping at a major discount retailer and while perusing through the books & magazine section, I found an author whose books I read just because. Christina Dodd. I'd knew that the Secrets of Bella Terra had come out a few weeks ago but I had not been able to make the purchase.  Well I saw the $5.99 price point on the discount print book then compared the price with an e-book retailer price and the price matched the cover price of $7.99. So of course, I purchased the book in print and will be purchasing the sequels in the same fashion.  Though I but a lot of e-books, I do so when I feel that the price is reflective of the books worth . I am not going to pay $7.99 for a book by an author I have never heard of; but I will spend $2.99 or $3.99 and then I'm able to buy more. An endless cycle.
   OK, I'm done with my rant and now I must begin Secrets of Bella Terra.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment