Friday, December 2, 2011

Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas #6)Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Quite a delicious read.


Here was another one of those books, by an author I love, that I slept on. I couldn’t bring myself to read this book for a long time after hearing about the anticipation and reading, more than a few, reviews from other readers. Call Me Irresistible was not a book that I would recommend to every reader and only because it is not a standalone title. If you missed Fancy Pants, First Lady, Glitter Baby, and Lady Be Good, then you might want to leave this book alone for a while. I have read all of these books and still need to go back and reacquaint myself with the characters (all of which will be found in CMI).

The book starts with a wedding, featuring Ted Beaudine (Fancy Pants), Meg Koranda (Glitter Baby), and Lucy Jorik (First Lady). The Book ends with a wedding, featuring Ted Beaudine, Meg Koranda , and Lucy Jorik . Though at the second wedding, the actress playing the bride has been changed. After Lucy leaves Ted at the altar, the town of Wynette blames Meg for breaking the heart of its golden boy, Ted Beaudine. As much as I found the adoration of Ted, there were too many holes in the story for me to rate this as a really fantastic book. Maybe it was assumes that I was up to date on my SEP novels and would be able to remember all of the characters and the connections to this book. I couldn’t remember if Ted, Lucy and Meg had been such well-developed characters in other books that I should have been able to recall them in this book.

Anyway, after the disaster at the altar Ted allows himself to lay his troubles at Meg’s feet and treat her like dirt for a good portion of the book. And whatever Ted does, the people of Wynette are doomed to follow and they, too, treat Meg like old cat litter. At some point, Ted gives in to his attraction to Meg (which no one saw coming) and decides that he likes her enough to at least, have sex with her; though by this time, Meg is already sure that she is super attracted to her nemesis. Meg endures menial jobs, a stalker and a billionaire with eight hands. The best part of this book and what saves it for me is the banter between Meg and Ted. This is the delicious part and worth of all the uncertainty of not knowing characters that you think you should know. Of course, there is HEA (after all, this is romance).






View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I found myself being transported to Wynette, and loved hearing from some of my favorite SEP characters from other books. The witty banter between characters kept a smile on my face throughout the whole read (I expect little else from SEP). We already knew and loved Ted, and I rooted for Meg as she transformed into a mature woman. As I read this book I was reminded of why I love romance lit and why I adore Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I'm already antsy for Lucy's book!

    ReplyDelete