Friday, March 18, 2011

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Vintage Classics) I am still wondering why it took me this long to read this book...Again.  Of course,  there was the requisite high school reading and I found  the I loved Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) a lot more than Rochester. I mean, Heathcliff was handsome and tragic and Rochester was an cynical and unattractive man.  Oh, how my mind has been changed.....I have decided that Jane Eyre is probably one of the best romances I have ever read, modern or classic.
When I purchased my Kindle I thought that it was the best opportunity for me to read all of the Classics that I had neglected to read thoroughly (or at all) while I was in school.  As an English major, I made a career of quickly reading through most books and gleaning enough to write a paper or pass a test. I have done myself a grave injustice. So, I downloaded Jane Eyre and read like six pages and never returned to it until news of the movie release. I began to read it again when Goodreads.com announced a contest.  The only time I read the book was one the train to and from work; just couldn't get the groove of things while at home.  But as the movie release got closer, I was determined to finish. I found that I LOVE THIS BOOK!
I was saddened by Jane's life with the Reeds', glad for her when she secured her position at Thornfield,  I laughed at her sparring with Rochester and I cried when he broke her heart.  Funny thing is....I had the very same emotions when I saw the movie last night.   Dame Judi Dench was lovely. Mia Wasikowska was sassy, strong and wonderfully vulnerable. And Michael Fassbender....well Rochester has never been this hot (not even Timothy Dalton). Fassbender's Rochester was a complete ass but a redeemable one. Just a beautiful film and worth watching. I will now have to purchase a paper copy of Jane Eyre for bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment