Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The most hated book I ever read...

As a self-acclaimed bibliophile, I find it almost impossible to that I have found a book the I could not stomach. I mean I actually wanted to take it back to the store and ask for a refund. Of course it was way past the return period. So.....I threw the book away (head hanging in shame).
I mean I have read Mein Kampf, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, read the Iliad several times, waded through William Faulkner (ugh) and still this one book was the one that brought me low...A Purpose Driven Life.Don't judge me.
I had to read this book while in college at a Baptist university and people acted like Paul the Apostle had re-written Christian doctrine. There were people claiming that they got SAVED by reading this book. Really? To me it was a mish-mash of Scripture from 88 different
translations. I just couldn't get past it. To be fair, it's probably a very useful tool for some but I'm forever tainted by my experience with a bunch of holy rollers thumping that book around for a 10 week quarter.

Have I offended anyone yet? Good. Books are supposed to shake you up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment