Thursday, October 7, 2010

Library visit

War and PeaceSo, I went to the library today and picked up some pretty good stuff: The Book Thief, The Weddingby Julie Garwood, Midnight Pleasures by Eloisa James, The MacKade Brothers: Devin and Shane: The Heart Of Devin MacKade\The Fall Of Shane MacKade, The MacKade Brothers: Rafe And Jared: The Return Of Rafe MacKade\The Pride Of Jared MacKade both by Nora Roberts and a few others. All of these are re-reads with the exception of The Book Thief, which I have been meaning to read but never got around to.

So while I was wandering aimlessly around the library trying to kill time and save pretrol (simultaneously), I thought that I might as well find another classic that I should have read by now. Now I'm wandering lonely as a cloud in the classic section (cause who else would be over there) and I don't see anything that I feel compelled to wade through for endless hours. And then it came to me...the reason that I had been able to get around reading these tomes was because I HATED THEM. The ones that were there were the who's who of the classical literary world ---Henry James, Charles Dickens, D.H. Lawrence, Thomas Hardy, etc., and I couldn't bring myself to take them home. 
Then I thought, I'll try more Russians (I like the Russians) but that didn't work out either. Did I really need to read War and Peace or Lolita? No. OK, so maybe Les Miserable? Again with the "no". It's like 2000 pages of stolen bread, severed heads, and Jean Valjean. Nope. There was also a consideration for Hawthorne and Washington Irving but I'd already sat through an entire semester in Early American Lit. I hated that class; each night I wanted to tie my bottom jaw to the door with a tow chain just to have something else to focus on. So, "no" again.   I finally came to the conclusion that whatever classic I had already read, that was it. If I can't get my fix from Austen, Bronte, Dostoevsky, Marlowe, or the Bard, then....
Les Misérables

No comments:

Post a Comment