Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: One Day by David Nicholls (no spoilers)

Whenever there is a book that gathers the public attention with movie tie-ins and press releases, I proceed with trepidation. I'm always a little afraid that the book will be, I don't know ,common? And this from someone who reads romance by the bag full. Though with One Day, I found myself pleasantly surprised that it was all that everyone said it wasn't. Hmmm...
I began reading this book and immediately fell in love with Nicholls language; absolutely gorgeous and sumptuous words.
Ok, so the normal girl loves beautiful, unattainable boy apply here but that is the end of the formula. Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley are actually quite perfect for one another but are forced to wait until their life experiences catch up with their desire for each other. We meet these two people every year on the same day: July 15th (the significance of this date is slowly revealed and makes the story that much more richer). Dexter is dead set on always being in and living in the moment. He has always been beautiful and desired and doesn't know how to cope well enough when he is not the brightest light in the room. Part of his misunderstanding and disdain of Emma comes from the fact that she would rather find happiness in simplicity. Their relationship is a revolving door with them always missing their opportunity to connect; constantly looking for something that the other is not capable of giving.
Emma loves Dexter in a way that is beautiful and debilitating; she can never quite move past the ideal of loving him and being lived by him. Her other relationships are hindered by his on/off presence in her life. While he is included as an integral part of her life, she is not integral to his. Dexter has been selfish for so long that it confuses him that other people might as, or more, important that him. Yet, Emma is his constant.
I don't like reviews that catalogue every nuance and movement of the novel, so I won't do it. But I will say that this is one deliciously romantic story. Some of the reviews that have read mention how un-romantic this book is bit I find it to be the epitome of romance, melodrama, and tragedy (oops). I wish I had purchased this book for myself instead of having a library copy. There were so many passages that I wanted to highlight and underline. Though I was apprehensive about this book, I thoroughly enjoyed my journey with Emma and Dexter. This is definitely one for the shelves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment